The NHS Accessible Information Standard
On the 31st July 2016, the NHS Accessible Information Standard came into force.
As part of the accessible information standard, organisations that provide NHS or adult social care must do five things
- Ask people if they have any information or communication needs, and find out how to meet their needs.
- Record those needs clearly and in a set way.
- Highlight or flag the person’s file or notes so it is clear that they have information or communication needs and how to meet those needs.
- Share information about people’s information and communication needs with other providers of NHS and adult social care, when they have consent or permission to do so.
- Take steps to ensure that people receive information which they can access and understand, and receive communication support if they need it.